The largest turning point in the history of Sternbergopolis is perhaps the settlement of pioneer explorers in the early 1400s.
One of the most miraculous points in Sternbergopolan history is the arrival of explorers on the East Coast. Three sailors from England, using methods by the other Izorp nations unknown to us still to this day, were able to transport to the Northeast Coast, in what is now Sternbergopolis' capital city of Peryston. The explorers' names were Seymour Peryston (the lead explorer, thus the city's name), Robert Wallard, and Samuel Sissyfield. The men called the area "the magic land" because it was rich in many minerals, including gold, silver, and coal.
Nickelfordian Native Interference & Settlement of Persyton
A nearby tribe of the Lerkenshardniffs were startled by the arrival of Peryston and his band of explorers. After becoming suspicious the Lerkenshardniff ruler ordered their capture, which was carried out successfully. All three men were taken to prison in Brucelli (today the capital of the province of Nickelford). Fortunately, however, the accompanying crew was spared due to lack of prison capacity and lack of record keeping methods for their large numbers. They used this to their advantage, and in 1417 left for the closest other country to tell the others of the rich land they had found, as well as what had happened to their captains. Many listened and came to the rescue. Some of the poorest in their society even left to settle for a better life. By 1419, a significant population had sprung up on what is now Capital Bay. A small militia of men was formed to fight off the nearby Lerkenshardniff forces, and free Persyton and company. Wallard had died in prison, but colleagues Persyton and Sissyfield were freed. On the bank of a river, about 30 km inland from the bay, General Wallard's body was moved to a memorial grave at the request of the Lerkenshardniff guards. Persyton built a settlement around the memorial in late 1419, and named it Persyton (after himself), thus creating the capital and largest city of Sternbergopolis today. He had died from some unknown health complication just months later, and an even larger memorial was created for him, in the place which was designated the center of Downtown Persyton until 2012.
Incorporation of Persyton & Occupation by Nickelfordians
The City of Persyton was officially incorporated as a city on 10 May 1420, and a small ceremony was held in honor of its official founding. City officials, descendants of the founding trio, decided they would claim a portion of land as the settlement's not long afterward, leading to the formation of what today makes up the Provinces of Parkerbury, Griswold, Nickelford, and East Nickelford. The land, though obviously much larger than any "village," was named Homestead Village, as it was to be their new homestead. The Kingdom of Nickelford, at the time not recognised by Homestead officials, was outraged, as the territory they claimed had belonged to them. In 1422, after new Nickelfordian king Rupert II took the throne, he made several attempts to attack, capture, buy, and even destroy the Homestead land. Officials in the newly established capital in Persyton finally gave in, and agreed to give Nickelford control of their land and end the dispute as long as both parties agreed to be peaceful with each other. The system worked well at first, but Rupert II was still resentful and distrustful of the Homestead Villagers, and began pressing high taxes, along with other fees and laws against the Homestead people. Angered, former officials in Persyton staged a successful revolt, resulting in Homestead Village keeping what is now Parkerbury, Nickelford keeping their original territory, and the Griswold area disputed for hundreds of years afterward.